U.S. Military Relies on Defender® M and Other TenCate FR Fabrics
The appearance of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan presented a new challenge for U.S. military forces. Hundreds of war fighters suffered severe burn injuries as result of the IEDs and the Department of Defense started looking for a solution.
TenCate Protective Fabrics USA answered the challenge by using its extensive technical expertise and innovative research and development experience to engineer an FR fabric to protect the men and women who serve in action.
TenCate Defender® M provides the best combination of thermal protection, durability and breathability of any comparable material.
After extensive testing and evaluation, TenCate Defender® M was selected as the fabric of choice for the Fire Resistant Army Combat Uniform (FR-ACU) and the Marine Corp’s Flame Resistant Organizational Gear (FROG).
TenCate Protective Fabrics was the first company to supply FR fabric to the U.S. Army for infantry uniforms and in 2007 received a commendation from the U.S. Marine Corps for TenCate Defender® M.
To the military personnel that we serve, TenCate Protective Fabrics USA is the most trusted name in personal protective textiles because there is no compromise in our commitment to safety, innovation and quality.
Where Protective Fabrics by TenCate Are Worn
- Flight Suits: TenCate Aramid Camouflage™ supplies the Army with proven protection for its Army Aircrew Combat Uniform
- Jackets: TenCate Brigade® provides the outer layer for the Navy’s wind-resistant FR Shipboard jacket
- Base Layers: TenCate Tech T4™ acts as the base layer for the U.S. Army’s Protective Undergarment (PUG) ensemble
- Ballistic Protection: TenCate manufactures a filament aramid ballistic knit which serves as the prominent protective element in the PUG ensemble for the U.S. Army.
- Gloves: TenCate Defender® M interlock is currently being compared to specs and may be chosen for the Army Combat Glove (ACG) as well as a Flyers Glove.
- Shield Operations: Defender® M protects troops as part of the eCVC or Enhanced Combat Vehicle Coverall.
- TenCate Defender® M remains the fabric of choice for the Army Combat Pant (ACP) as well as the Army Combat Shirt (ACS) and is still the only fabric used for the Army Flame Resistant Combat Uniform (FRACU)
- Defender® M RainSHIELD™ keep Marines safe and dry in the Inclement Weather Combat Shirt (IWCS)
- For the Navy, TenCate Tecasafe® Plus serves as the FR choice for Flight Deck Trousers and now stands ready for adoption for flight deck shirts as well